| Detect Registration Marks on Hard-to-Read Surfaces.
Banner Engineering Corp. has introduced their R58 Expert™ Series colour registration mark sensors for detecting colour contrast in common product and material registration applications.
R58 Expert Series Color Register Mark Sensors detect color contrast in common product and material registration applications. The R58 Expert accurately detects 16 levels of gray scale by automatically selecting the sensor’s red, green or blue LED, based on the contrast of the background and the registration mark being sensed. Its ability to perform up to 10,000 actuations per second, coupled with its small 1.2 x 3.8 mm sensing image, makes the R58 Expert an ideal solution for detecting small, inconspicuous marks in low-contrast, high-gloss sensing applications. All models feature Banner’s advanced TEACH-mode push-button programming for easy setup.
“The R58 Expert sensor has three LEDs and automatically selects the correct one to use, based on the contrast between the color of the registration mark and its background,” said Steve Giere, senior application engineer for Banner. “Because the sensor automatically determines the sensing beam color for the best performance in each application, you can use a single sensor instead of constantly changing sensors to one that has the proper LED color.” Giere added, “The excellent contrast sensitivity of the R58 Expert makes it easy to detect critical features, even on difficult-to-sense material.”
Applications. R58 Expert Series sensors can detect small color marks and differentiate low-contrast colors, making them ideal for challenging applications, including color registration mark detection, cutting mark detection and product orientation. R58 Expert sensors are often used in the printing, packaging and pharmaceutical industries.
Several features of the R58 Expert Series sensors make them particularly easy to install and use:
- Fast 50 microsecond response performs up to 10,000 actuations per second.
- ± 3 mm shift from the 10 mm focal point accommodates web flutter and similar variations in the target’s location.
- Setup is quick and easy using TEACH push button or remote cable.
- Dynamic TEACH mode allows the sensor to learn two sensing conditions on-the-fly and automatically set the switchpoint.
- Static TEACH mode allows the user to set two distinct switchpoints.
- SETUP mode allows the user to program outputs for light/dark operate and ON/OFF-delay.
- 8-segment light bar indicator shows continuous readout of operating status.
- Lenses on both the front and bottom of each sensor and models with either a vertical or horizontal light spot provide convenient and flexible mounting.
- Zinc alloy die-cast housing with high quality acrylic lens is rated IP67 for food processing applications.
Specifications. R58 Expert sensors operate on 10 to 30V dc and feature solid-state bipolar discrete outputs: one current sinking (NPN) and one current sourcing (PNP). Indicator lights provide ongoing readout of operating status, light or dark operate and ON or OFF delay.
Download the Datasheet:
|R58 Expert Series Color Register Mark Sensors (pdf 850Kb)